Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Solving the Shoe Dilemma

This post could also be entitled "Sometimes a Little Humiliation Can Go a Long Way"...

We have lots of shoes in our house. Each child usually has a pair of sandals as well as a pair of sneakers. However, when it is time to leave the house, for some odd reason... not a single pair can be found. It defies mathematical odds, really.

Let me just say, I make it reallllllyyyy easy for shoes to be found. I keep a large basket by the door, ready and waiting for its specific purpose in life of being filled with shoes. Right by the front door, you'd think this would be so, so simple. Come in, take off shoes. Get ready to go, get shoes on by door. Keeps floors clean, speeds up leaving time, keeps mama happy.

Except it just hasn't been working!! Why? Why is this SO hard? I feel like banging my head against something solid when its time to walk out the door and everyone is searching frantically for shoes, and finding them in random places that they should not be, such as one in the bathroom and one under the kitchen table. Really?! Do you REALLY walk around the house with one shoe on and one shoe off? I 've never actually seen it happen, but by the way shoes get spread everywhere, you'd think it was a common enough occurance.

Anyway, in a plea for advice from some friends of mine, a dear mama actually went back to her ever-so-creative dear husband for his thoughts on the situation. And let me just say... his idea is going to revolutionize our house! I ran it by my dear husband, who wholeheartedly agreed we should give it a try, and then ran to the store. Oh, I also gave the kids a head's up about the plan, which was met with near-tears and exclamations of shock and horror.

The brilliant solution for this houseful of boys who can never put their shoes where they belong? No more ranting and raving mama, that's for sure. Enter....

The Pink Flip-Flops of Terror!!!

Yes, that's right. If a boy, or several boys, cannot find their shoes when it is time to go, no worries, mama has some extras on hand! Here, honey, just wear these pink flip-flops to homeschool co-op. Or the doctor's office. Or church. Or the park to play football with daddy. Oh, what, you don't like pink flip-flops, sweetie? You think they're girlie and people might make fun of you? Yeah, you're probably right. So maybe next time you'll put your shoes where they belong, huh?

Am I finding too much pleasure in the idea of my children being humiliated and scarred for life? Nah... because ever since I mentioned it, they've amazingly found the skills needed to actually keep their shoes in the basket.

It's a miracle! A skill they couldn't grasp for several years has suddenly been mastered overnight. Weird! But in case there's a slight lapse in skills... the flip-flops are ready and waiting!

16 comments:

Flo said...

OMG... I cannot stop laughing... Thank you so much.

mamakyker said...

Like magic! So glad it worked! And for the record, I ran the hypothetical situation by our boys and the consequence was met with the same shock and horror! A mama with a houseful of boys has to learn how to motivate them. In other words, YAY for dads! : )

i cant decide said...

That is genius! Love this idea!

Catherine Bennet said...

Oh yeah... I should try that at my house. ROTF!

Anonymous said...

so funny!!! we have a similar problem at our house. we may try this too. i think i will get camo flips for the girls. Insert evil laugh:)

christa

Abby said...

That is a great idea! Somehow kids cannot remember how to put their shoes away... me included.

Abby :D

Shana Stringer said...

i too couldn't stop laughing

Kim M. said...

THAT IS HYSTERICAL!

Elspeth said...

That is a very funny and effective idea.

Moms can be creative when we need to be, no?

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I love it.

Manda said...

This is hilarious!! (And if your next babe happens to be a girl, you'll never have to buy flip-flops for her! hehe)

It Feels Like Chaos said...

Love it!!!

Carrie said...

Followed your link at WFMW.

What a brilliant idea! Sometimes kids just need a little motivation :-)

mommagurl32 said...

I LOVE it! I have 4 boys and I am always having this problem. I am soooooo gonna do this...thanks for sharing!!!

Marbel said...

That is so funny!

Paul Spillers said...

That's a great idea, Erin! Some days ago Heidi realized on her way to school that she had on her pink sandals instead of her black school shoes. She was allowed to wear her P.E. shoes in the school but not outside. She had to wear her sandals outside for some outdoor activities. At the end of the day she told me about getting ant bites on her feet! I think she'll be more careful from now on. :)