I will say, however, that I had difficulty making rolls with it. The dough wasn't "formed" enough for me to shape well, even after rising... so I just spooned it into the bread loaf pans instead... but the result was just as warm and yummy. Since I don't yet have a mixer and I had to knead it by hand, I don't know what affect that played on the consistency of the dough and how it might be different with a mixer. Either way, we loved it! We made it as basic as possible - we did not include the egg, lecithin or gluten... just water, yeast, honey, flour and salt. So simple!!
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup oil (1/3 cup if using egg)
1/2 cup honey
3 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
1 egg (optional)
5 cups freshly milled flour (I use King Arthur Whole Wheat flour)
2 tsp. salt
1-2 Tbsp. lecithin (optional)
1/2 tsp. gluten (optional)
Combine water, oil, and honey. Add 3 cups of flour, yeast, salt, lecithin, and gluten. Mix thoroughly. Add the remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 min.). Let rise until double. Shape into loaves or rolls, place in greased pans, and let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 min. Makes two 1 1/2 lb. loaves.
For dinner rolls: The dough for one loaf makes about 10 nice size rolls. To form: divide dough into balls and roll into ropes. Tie ropes into knots. Place on greased cookie sheet. Let rise about 45 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 9-10 minutes.









5 comments:
Glad you found a good recipe...it's important that DH likes it. ;-)
Okay, I'm going to try it. I tried to make Heather's white bread last week and it was a disaster. I may end up asking you a bunch a questions, like I did to Heather, if I'm unsuccessful with this one, too. ;-)
awwww....you are so sweet! glad you guys like it. the mixer does alot of the work, i bet that made the difference in texture. i made some this week...first time since priscilla was born! it was yummy!
I am going to be trying this soon!! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for sharing! I haven't made yeast bread in ages...I've been sticking with a whole wheat quick bread. This recipe looks like it uses less flour than the one I used to make. I may just have to try it out!
Okay, I have the dough in the machine right now. I'm pretty sure it's more than my machine capacity can handle, so I'll have to take it out to rise, but I wanted the machine to do the work of kneading for me.:)
Post a Comment