Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Not a Birth Story

You would think after 4 deliveries, I'd be a pro at figuring out when to head to the hospital. Last night proved that this is not the case!

All day yesterday I had a burst of nesting energy, as well as the usual signs that tend to occur pre-labor. By 8 pm last night, contractions had begun, and were a good 8-10 minutes apart. Michael and I sat up for a little while, continuing to time them, and I packed bags to be ready just in case. Since the intensity didn't seem too bad, we both decided to go to bed and get what sleep we could, not knowing what the night might hold.

A little before midnight, I woke up with more painful contractions. I stayed in bed for an hour, unable to sleep, and finally got up to walk around to see if anything might change. While walking, the contractions grew to be 3-6 minutes apart, and painful enough for me to need to stop walking and rock a bit. After an hour of that, I woke Michael up to get ready to go!

We called our wonderful friend Jenny who immediately came right over to stay with the boys, and we headed over to the hospital. Once there, I was hooked up to the monitor, and sure enough, contractions were coming every 6-8 minutes while I was lying down, more frequently while walking. However, I was only dilated to 2 cm! So the midwife said to walk, walk, walk - and we paced the halls, discussing the artwork and interesting floor designs, and Michael snuck me some animal crackers ;-)

After an hour of walking with some pretty good contractions, I needed to rest, so we went back to the room and laid down. The nurse and midwife were kind enough to just let us sleep, so they didn't bother us at all until a little before 7 am, when I woke up and asked to be checked. And the verdict was... still at 2 cm. And contractions had died down significantly. No labor!

So we're back home, a bit weary and dejected, but also a bit relieved because as far as timing goes, the next few days would be a bit stressful for having a baby due to Michael's work schedule. So all's well that ends well - the baby is doing great and moving around, and we have a few more days to prepare. I feel badly that we had to call Jenny over and alert a few others who were waiting excitedly in the middle of the night, though!

Now I'm just wondering - if I had all of my normal labor signs, happening for over 6 hours, and this wasn't labor... how will I know the difference when it is?! Yikes!

12 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

May the timing be just perfect when it finally happens. Until then: Hang in there!

~Luke

Anonymous said...

don't worry, you'll know!!! :)
but just think about how much closer all those contractions from last night got you! they were definetely accomplishing something! ;)
praying that God will give you peace until it's time and that you'll know when it's time!

stacey

Anonymous said...

wow! amazing that that was not it! but i bet you're super close! can't wait to hear!

Happy Hermit (happilyhiddenhermit@gmail.com) said...

My Prayers will be with you.

Marcy said...

Wow. Yesterday I was trying to remember your due date and saying to Scott, isn't this Erin's due date? We decided that it was in fact more towards the end of the month but, I was kind of thinking...well, she did say she usually has them early! How funny! I know that the baby will come in God's timing.

mamakyker said...

Same thing happened to me with Caroline! Middle of the night and everything... She was born two days later. With all of that going on I know it will be soon!

Heather said...

ahhh Erin... I'm sure it will be SOON now!

dailyhalfdozen said...

I'm so excited for you! You're getting so close!

Meggan said...

That's must be a bit frustrating, especially in the middle of the night! I hope you get some rest 'cause it sounds like your body and the baby are definitely getting ready. The bright side is: the baby can't stay in forever. I pray he or she comes before Mike's trip.

Meghann said...

Oh so excited for you it will be any day now!!!

Brenda said...

Oh no! That's crazy---didn't want to let you get too smug about all this labor stuff! :) Perhaps this little one will keep you guessing all his or her life?

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,
I've tried to post before but no luck. You all have been in our thoughts and prayers over the last few weeks. Now you're rejoicing in a precious new life. May God continue to watch over you, Linda