Sunday, March 15, 2009

Birth Stories - Joel

Joel's birth is also the one I refer to as "At which point I determine never to use an OB again" ;-) My pregnancy with Joel went great. I don't remember his due date, but he arrived a few days beforehand. The day before labor began, I was hit with some serious nesting. It was a warm January day, and I decided that the Suburban needed washing. Not just the typical hose down, but a good, solid scrubbing, including the roof - which entailed me, 9 months pregnant, climbing onto a ladder with a hose, washing mitt and lots of suds - and yes, when Michael saw what I was attempting, he immediately thwarted my desires! Not to be too discouraged, I then took up raking the yard, and did that for about an hour. That evening, I had some tell-tale "signs" as I mentioned I also had before Isaac's birth, so I knew things were on a roll!

I woke up that next morning with slight cramping, but nothing too major. Again, Michael went off to work, and I ran some errands and got the boys' hair cut. At the hair cutting place, the contractions started to get more serious. We went back home and ate lunch and the boys took a nap. During nap time I called Michael and my mother-in-law - she came and stayed with the boys while Michael and I headed off to the hospital. We had to head in earlier than I would have liked because I had tested positive for Group B Strep and their policy was to administer 2 doses of antibiotic before birth. So when I got to the hospital, I was only at 4 cm, but that gave them the time they wanted to start up the first dose. After the first dose, I was free to wander the halls and have visitors, so we did.

However, before they could start the second dose (I forget how far apart the doses are supposed to be), things started to pick up a notch. I asked if I could get in the shower, and so they checked me, and I was 7 cm. The OB decided to break my water (to which I definitely agreed!) and said I could take a shower after she did, and that she would be back. I never got that shower. She broke my water and left the room, and things started happening FAST - really fast.

I was lying on my side and after about 2 contractions, knew the baby was coming. The nurse called the OB back in, and the OB asked me to roll onto my back. I asked if I could stay on my side, knowing full well that babies can certainly be delivered that way, and the OB got very forceful. She began yelling at me to roll over, which really startled Michael - to hear the OB yelling, and to hear me yelling because of the worst labor pains I had ever felt. So in his fear, he began speaking very sternly to me, telling me to ROLL OVER! I knew if I rolled over the pain would only be much, much worse, so I continued to refuse. Finally, Michael and the nurse rolled me over themselves, and in one push, Joel was born. And it was excrutiating!

I went from 7 cm dilated to having Joel in my arms in 19 minutes flat! It was SO painful, and I hemmoraged a little afterwards, which was even more painful as the OB dealt with that. I was so sore and exhausted, and felt a little beat up emotionally! Joel was also my biggest baby yet, 8 pounds, 3 ounces, although I don't know how much that had to do with it!

All in all, I was thankful to have a healthy, beautiful baby... but I have always wished his birth had been a bit more peaceful. It was nothing traumatic, to be sure, but it sure was stressful with all the yelling that went on!

Joel didn't seem to be too badly affected by it, though, as he was a very peaceful and happy baby. Michael chose his name, and it means "Jehova is Lord". Michael chose it so that anytime anyone uses it, they are in actuality praising the Lord! I've always loved that.

No comments: