Friday, September 23, 2011

Timberdoodle Review - Purpllinker


It's a bird!  It's a plane!  No, it's a....
Purpl... what?!  Purpllinker!  Don't worry, we just affectionately call it the "purple thing".  What is this long, bendy purple thing, you ask?  It's a great manipulative (and toy!) from Timberdoodle (one of the most fun homeschool supply resources around)!


I'll be totally honest here - I was given a few choices of items to review, and the Purplinker was not my first choice.  I didn't think it looked very... interesting.  Boy, was I wrong!  From the minute the package was opened, the "purple thing" quickly became the most fought over item in the home  (Well, Michael and I usually share, but the boys have some trouble!).

Intended for ages 3 and up, and included in Timberdoodle's Preschool Curriculum, every single one of my children love to "fidget" with it.  It gets carried in the car, played with during read-alouds, used for quiet time, and occasionally confiscated as it attempts to be used as a sword or other weaponry. (Hey, this is a houseful of boys, what else is to be expected?!)  Thankfully, because of it's rounded edges and lightweight, flexible deisgn, it's never done any damage!

It's actual purpose it to be used as a manipulative to help children with early phonics - making reading "hands-on" through the child shaping the Purpllinker into various letters.  Of course, this can also carry over into math, being used to make numbers or shapes.  It's not always as easy as it looks, however, so it's also a great thinking skills and coordination tool!  The package comes with instructions demonstrating how to make each letter, number, and shape, but I've found it far more interesting to allow my children to try to figure it out themselves!

Here's Nate (4.5 years old), using the Purpllinker to make a "d", which is the letter he's currently learning in Explode the Code book C:

It has 7 "links", so it's long!
Thinking hard!
No, silly!  That's an "L"!
That's close!  Try a little more...

Yes, it is tricky!

Hooray!  We got it!
I was pleasantly surprised at the versatility, usefulness, and FUN!  that the Purpllinker supplies.  I definitely recommend it!  It is very reasonably priced at only $11.25 and can be found at Timberdoodle!

By the way, if you don't already get Timberdoodle's catalog, you're missing out!  I actually hide mine when it comes so I can read it in peace and quiet without lots of little eyes peering eagerly over my shoulder.  It's FULL of unique and interesting homeschool supplies!  Also, be sure to "like" Timberdoodle on Facebook, too!

As a member of Timberdoodle's Blogger Review Team I received a free Purpllinker in exchange for a frank and unbiased review.