Sunday, June 26, 2011

Homeschool Assignment Sheets

I've been wracking my brain for a good way to organize all of the older kids' homeschool assignments.  I needed a way to write down their assignments for the week for each subject, which was easy enough, but I also wanted a way to document that each assignment had been completed, checked, and reviewed.  On top of that, I also have been having trouble keeping track of the other work that the kids do - work on the computer, as well as work that requires one-on-one time with me.  I felt like I was trying to juggle too many things mentally. So (with some inspiration from the planners at DonnaYoung.org), I finally came up with an assignment sheet that meets my needs!  Here's a peek!
Assignment Sheets 2011-2012

At first glance, it's pretty basic, but I wanted to explain a few things.  First, the letters and squares at the bottom of each column.  At our house, the kids do some of their work independently, then I check it, but Michael is the one who reviews it with them in the evenings.  We were having trouble keeping track of if the work had been checked and/or reviewed, and that was making things a little chaotic.  So, at the bottom of their independent work assignment squares, there are 3 check boxes:
  • The first "C" is the checkbox the kids mark when they've completed the work.  
  • The next "C" is the box I check when I've finished checking their work.  
  • Finally, the "R" box is what Michael uses to mark that he's reviewed that assignment with the kids. 
The work that doesn't require checking or reviewing (computer work, or work that they're doing with me directly) just has one check box for "completed". It might sound complicated, but it's really not (it just takes a lot of words to explain!).

I also love having ALL of their work listed out in front of me, so I can keep better track of what's getting done each day. It definitely keeps our routine running smoothly, instead of me always wracking my brain trying to figure out who's supposed to be doing what on the computer, or which lesson I'm doing with whichever child in Spelling, and so on... you get the picture!  My brain can only handle so much overload!

Since this is an Excel spreadsheet, I can either enter in their assignments on the computer and print it out, or, I've left enough room to print it out blank and write in the assignments by hand.  I actually prefer doing it by hand and in pencil, in case adjustments need to be made!

Thankfully, I'm not in a state that requires strict documentation of each lesson and day's work, but even so, I think I will keep these on hand for "just in case"... and also to be able to look back and see where we've been and what we've accomplished over the year!

I am, admittedly, a little bit of a spreadsheet nerd.  I've always loved them!  But it really is so helpful!  Feel free to copy this for your own homeschool use, if you'd like! :-)

5 comments:

Brenda said...

I am ALL about reading how people organize Sonlight these days!!! Thanks for sharing. I am so determined to have Sweetheart be more independent this year---an assignment sheet will be a must.

Manda @ Lambs In His Arms said...

Great idea! I don't have that many lessons to juggle yet, but I'm definitely interested in learning any tips to keep things organized as we go!
PS I love Excel spreadsheets, too!

Crystal said...

I came from the crew forum to ck out your blog and realized after I got here I've been following you for some time now!! Love your blog, so happy to be a part of the crew this year!

Christa said...

Hmm... giving me thought for my forms - that I can't seem to get just right!

(stopping by from the Crew)

Sacha @ Home in the Trenches said...

Stopping by from the crew! Looks great!