Friday, November 19, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday - Vol. 2



Photobucket

Lately I've been able to dive into some really good books. I'm currently reading The Cross-Centered Life by CJ Mahaney, Brokenness, Surrender, Holiness by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, as well as The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. Oh, such wonderful wisdom I've been gleaning from these! They don't take the place of time in the Word, of course, but they are very encouraging as well as challenging, and I recommend all of them!

Photobucket

Unfortunately, I failed my 1 hour glucose screening. I've failed it during 2 other pregnancies, as well, but always passed the 3 hour. Its just a big inconvenience. And honestly, I think the test is administered unrealistically. When am I ever going to consume 50g of pure glucose? If I were doing that on a regular basis, there'd definitely be something to worry about, not just my blood sugar levels! But, I do know that gestational diabetes is something to take seriously, so I resign myself to the whole procedure. I try to look at it as a "mom's morning out", only with fasting and bloodletting as part of the deal (I don't think those are included in traditional mom's mornings out, and if so, then there's just another reason I've never done one!). I do enjoy the quiet time I can spend reading, thinking, or... just enjoying quietness.

Photobucket

Joel is "blooming" in leaps and bounds! Reading, math, chores around the house, his whole personality! This is one thing I love about the "Better Late than Early" philosophy - seeing them come into their own, instead of be forced into a mold that might not fit. I haven't done any formal math with Joel, but he is all the time telling me things like what 8+8 is, or what 9-5 is... things he has figured out on his own! Instead of rote memorization without understanding, he actually understands these things because he's been allowed to explore them on his own and in his timing. And, it has saved us the time, frustration, and relationship break-down of trying to teach him something when his mind just wasn't ready for it. Now... it is!

Speaking of memorization, however, he does have a great knack for it! For a few weeks the bigger boys were memorizing Psalm 8... and while they were at it, Joel surprised us by knowing it, too! Here's a video of it:


Photobucket

I've been nesting! Its a little early, but if I've got the urge to do it, I'm going to run with it. I've gotten bedrooms organized, the hall closet cleaned out, and am in full-time planning for the first few months of new-mommyhood. Preparation is half the battle, right? I am trying not to get overwhelmed at the idea of what having 6 will bring, but instead make life simpler even now, so that the transition can go smoothly. Surely I can hope?

Photobucket

Along with nesting and organizing, I've gotten back on track using my Motivated Moms planner. I had fallen off the organizational wagon over the summer. Why do I ever stop?! Its so nice to have sparkling clean bathrooms with minimal work, along with other things that can easily pile up when not attended to regularly. It feels good to be back into a routine!

Photobucket

By the way... if you haven't heard of Seeds Family Worship CDs, you are missing out! We got the entire set of 5 CDs and we looooovvvveee them! They're not just for kids - I listen to them even when the kids aren't around! Here's the best part - we're all getting God's Word saturated in our hearts. Earlier today one of the kids hummed "He alone is the rock of my salvation..." and 3 other kids chimed in nice and loud "He is my fortress, I will never be shaken!" I can't get over the way that they're absorbing scripture. Having God's word in their hearts like that will benefit them their whole lives, I truely believe it. When we're in times of trouble or confusion, the Holy Spirit brings to mind the verses that have been tucked away, and we are comforted by the very words of God. When others are seeking, hurting, or rejoicing, we can share with them the very words of God to meet them where they are. There is no lack of benefit to memorizing scripture, and Seeds Family Worship CDs make it so easy and enjoyable!

Photobucket

Although it is still early, I have already gotten out my little bitty cloth diapers to take inventory. Ahhhh... if there's nothing more adorable than teeny tiny fluffy diapers! They are irresistible! And... I've actually added a few a few pink ones to the mix... just in case of course! ;-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Blessings on you as you anticipate the arrival of your little one!