As I mentioned, this is the most challenging part for me, but also the most enjoyable. I've always enjoyed math and numbers, logic puzzles, working to figure out conclusions and so on, so this fits right in. I've sort of developed my own style for this, and its nothing special. Terri Maxwell from titus2.com suggests actually cutting out each goal/responsibility for each person into color-specific tabs of paper and physically rearranging them on a large schedule grid. This is an excellent method for those who are visual and also need to be able to physically manipulate things. I never actually followed that exact method, but the idea was a wonderful springboard for what would work for me. Instead a physical paper grid, I make an Excel sheet, with each person's name across the top, and time increments in 15 minutes down the side. Here's an example:

First, I plug in the most concrete details - sleeping and eating times. The rest of the day is worked around those things. Then I think about what are the biggest priorities. Time with the Lord, chores, and Michael coming home from work top the list, so they get worked in first and foremost. Then, I look over the list of goals and responsibilities we made up during our schedule chat, I line up what things can go together - for example, chores get done at the same time for everyone, I read aloud to everyone at the same time, we all go for our walk together. Certain activities can be "paired" - such as the older children doing quiet reading while I nurse the baby for a nap. For the most part, I pair as much of our day as possible. I include everyone in school activities whenever possible, for one, because it keeps all of the children close to me, and also because I have learned that the littles pick up on a lot, just by being there and listening in (see my post "The Littles" for an example!)
Once everything is paired up as much as possible, I deal with the individual things. Each of the boy's English/Reading needs to be done one-on-one, since they are on different levels. During my one-on-one time with the one, the other three are having "play time" together. Both Isaac and Ezra are responsible enough to manage playing with Joel and Nathan quietly in a nearby room or out on the porch or deck. Any emergencies, of course, are handled by me ;-)
As I go through plugging in our daily responsibilities, there are some that don't always fit on the schedule for that particular season of life. This is why prioritizing is so important, so you know that at least the minimum of your priorities are being attended to. For us, things like extra curricular activities and outside lessons aren't something that fits very well for us yet. Occasionally, yes, but several times a week just doesn't work, because two of my four still need 2 hour naps, which take up a lot of the day. As they grow, depending on how many more littles we're blessed with, this will change. That is an important part of scheduling, and being a mom and homeschooler in general - realizing that *everything* is not always possible, and even at times when it is, not always beneficial. There are seasons in life, and the things that you might have to sacrifice now may become available in a later season! So definitely be in prayer about what your family's priorities are!
Once I've plugged everything into the Excel sheet, I play with formatting just to have it easy to read and visually appealing - if its too cluttered or complicated, no one wants to even look at it, much less follow it! Here's an example of our current schedule - I have it printed and hanging on our corkboard (which is where we also post the chore lists) for everyone to see!

Then, once all is said and done... we begin! A new routine does require an adjustment period, but once everyone gets the hang of it, its easy to figure out what's working and what isn't. After a week or two, everyone will start to fall into the pattern of things, and the structure the day takes on begins to bring about freedom! I find schedules help me to use my time so much more efficiently, and accomplish much more than I do without one.Finally, I'd like to say that a schedule is a fluid thing. It is not an oppressive tyrant, restricting you from any freedom. It needs to work for you, not you for it. And as your situations change, the schedule will need to be tweaked, as well. Priorities change depending on the season of life (pregnant, having a newborn, potty training, etc) so be sure to adjust as needed! Keep a feel out for when things just don't seem to be flowing well, and be sure to pray and discuss with your husband when or if changes need to be made! Also keep in mind that without self-discipline, a schedule is just a piece of paper. They don't work unless you use them! ;-)









No comments:
Post a Comment